Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Listen Up

  1. #11
    Inactive Member timp's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2007
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I respect opions that were well articulated here. However, I do have one suspicion. That is, we (most of us who are responding to this post) care a lot about sound reproduction quality, at least far more than average audiophiles. I know some people who spent more money on softwares than the hardwares. They really don't care about the system. But they really do enjoy their music. I can't say the samething about myself. I love music as it is! I can enjoy my music through some ****** am radios. But the quality reproduction enhances the enjoyment. So, to me music and the sound quality are two sided coin.

    Instruments for example. A ****** guitar in clapton's hands will make beautiful music. Ah! But it will sound much better with a quality guitar. No?

    Tim

  2. #12
    Senior Hostboard Member wws944's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 16th, 2008
    Posts
    140
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Angry

    For years, I tried to get rid of some 'mistracking' on one of my ELP albums. Different tracking weights, anti-skating adjustments, even different cartridge technologies. Could not get rid of it. Then, when CDs came out, I bought the CD version. Sure enough, the same 'mistracking' was still there. Obviously it was mastered that way...

  3. #13
    Inactive Member selmerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2003
    Posts
    384
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hearing is memory, period.

    People who hear small details have memorized the differences of those sounds or the aspects that they are listening to.

    Chances are every one of us can identify aspects of sound in our own systems that others cannot (possibly even GM), just by virtue of the fact that they are the systems that we have listened to for significant periods of time and "memorized" the sound of. Go listen to somebody else's system and noticing differences is much more difficult and confusing.

    I am a musician, and I rely on my ears to make a living. I can hear a relatively complex chord (say, a D Major 7 with a Bb in the bass) and identify it most of the time. I would guess that few people that are not musicians could do that. However, when I entered college, I was unable to hear the difference between a major 7 chord and a minor 7 chord - which to me now is night and day. In the interim I have memorized the sound of all kinds of harmonies and I "hear" better even though in technical terms my ears haven't changed, just how I've learned to process what I hear. Same goes for perfect pitch, it's memorization. All of this says nothing about my ability to hear the things GM was picking out, that's a different memorization than chords.

    The more we memorize the sound of a 2db peak at 500 Hz, the more we are able to identify it and so on. As others have said, that might come at a cost if you develop the habit of listening to music that way.

    Dave

    PS OT and I don't want to go on a tangent but this is precisely the reason I give limited value to the results of double blind tests. Save that for another thread though.

  4. #14
    Senior Hostboard Member gortnipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 30th, 2008
    Posts
    244
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by bfish:
    that boomy old juke still gets me in boogie mode. forums [/QB]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That is what you have to remember - how good music feels. It works for you now, there is no reason it cannot always work for you! The rest is a cerebral excercise.

  5. #15
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    And therein lies the rub...excercise...which to me equates work...which is a four-letter word...

    Thanks man! forums

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ July 15, 2008 04:09 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  6. #16
    Inactive Member MERDY's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 22nd, 2005
    Posts
    66
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    great post

    some history

    this is sanskrit a historic indian launguage also associated with indian calassical music and ragas

    sound is considered to be of two kinds,one a vibration of ether,the other a vibration of air.the vibration of ether,which cannot be perceived in the physical sense,is considered the principal of all manifestation,the basis of all substance,the "music of the spheres"

    it forms permanent numerical patterns which are the basis of the worlds existence.this kind of vibration is not caused by physical shock as are audible sounds it is therefore called anahata"unstruck"

    the other kind of sound is an impermanent vibration of air,an image of the ether vibration.it is audible and always produced by a shock.it is therefore called ahata or "struck"
    "struck sound is said to give pleasure,unstruck sound leads to liberation."

    i remember the most beautiful sound i heard was when i woke up from my moterbike crash was the sound of my thumping heart

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.